Monday, March 4, 2013

Peanut Butter, Banana, & Jelly Challah French Toast.

Now that's a mouthful...well the name of the recipe AND this dish.

I had made some Vegan Challah bread for the first time last night and it was delicious  I'm not posting the recipe though because I still want to perfect it, it definitely could use some work.

But this I made for my roommate when I had a revelation and wanted to get rid of the challah because I couldn't stop eating!

So this is what I whipped up (My roommates love me :D)




Peanut Butter, Banana, & Jelly Challah French Toast:

Servings: 3 (two slices per person)

6 slices challah bread, about an inch thick (I'd look up a recipe on how to make it vegan because my recipe hasn't been perfected yet! Or you can just use regular challah bread if you aren't vegan)
1 banana, halved
3 tbsp natural peanut butter (or any nut butter)
2 tbsp sugar free jelly
1/2 cup non dairy milk
3 tsp Ener-g Egg replacer + 4 tbsp water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of coconut sugar
optional: pure maple syrup

1. Take each piece of the challah bread and make a 1/2 inch deep slit in the top, set aside


2. Take one half of the banana and mash it up in a bowl.
3. Add the peanut butter and jelly to the bananas and mix together until well blended, set aside

4. Pour the milk and Ener-g Egg together and whisk together until well blended

5. Add the spices and sugar to the milk mixture and mix
6. Heat up a skillet or pan to medium heat and spray it down with cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray)
7. Dip the challah bread in the milk mixture, making sure it is well coated.
8. Lay each piece on the skillet and cook each side for about 2-3 minutes. 
(when I made this for my roommate I used butter because he isn't vegan)

9. Flip the challah so it is standing up in the pan (like in the second picture shown) and turn off the skillet
10. While the challah is still in the pan, open up the slit using your fingers and spoon about a tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture inside the bread
11. Then transfer the stuffed challah from the pan to a plate and top with slices of the other half of the banana and add maple syrup if you'd like and serve!

*if you have any left over peanut butter mixture you can of course top the french toast with that as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment