Wednesday, May 22, 2013

With a little help from your friends (or fellow bloggers)...Shrimp & Mushroom Stuffed Squash Ravioli (and or Lasagna)

Now that's a mouthful...

So I was sitting around, thinking about food the other day...typical..and I thought, "why can't I still enjoy one of my favorite dishes...raviolis stuff with any kind of seafood?"

Well wonder no long, self, (yes I do talk to myself from time to time...ok maybe all the time)

I did a little research, and after finding some recipes that had some aspects I wanted in this dish, but not all, I mashed a few up together, added my own twist, and viola!

(I'm investing in a new camera this summer, I promise)


Now I try to make most of my recipes fool proof, or just simple to do, but this one, I'll have to admit, took some time to accomplish.

It wasn't hard, just a little time consuming...but definitely worth it



The recipe will be in seperate steps for each item because there's a lot of different tiers to this recipe :)

Shrimp & Mushroom Stuffed Squash Ravioli

Squash Raviolis: (idea from cupcakesomg)

4-5 medium yellow squash

1. Cut ends of squash off and slice down the middle so you have two halves.

2. Using the narrowest setting on your mandolin, slice the squash into long, flat strips. You'll end with around 70 or so strips.

3. Lay down 2 strips side by side, then lay 2 more over them, the opposite way...as shown in the crappy picture below:


4. Once you are finished this, you can set them aside, we will come back to these later

*Now if you don't have a mandolin, I used a vegetable peeler and pressed hard against each side to get the slices. A mandolin would work best, but I did what I could!


Next, it's time to make the sauce...

Caulif-redo Sauce (inspired by cupcakesomg again :D )


1 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped into large chunks
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp garlic
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp. cashew "parmesan" cheese (to make, use 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 cup raw cashews, and 1/2 tsp sea salt blended together in a food processor)
1/4 cup canned light coconut milk
1 tsp parsley
salt/pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg

1. Cook cauliflower until tender

2. While cauliflower is cooking, heat olive oil over medium low heat in a small pot. Add shallot and garlic and saute for a few minutes, then add chicken broth and heat through.

3. Add cauliflower, shallot/broth mixture, and remaining ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more coconut milk or chicken broth if needed. Set aside.

Now onto the yummiest part, the filling :D

Shrimp and Mushroom filling with Cashew "Ricotta" Cheese

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cups cooked large shrimp, tails off
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
3 tsp minced garlic
4-5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
dash of sea salt

1 egg white
1/2 cup cashew "parmesan" cheese (see above, under caulifredo sauce, for recipe)
Cashew Ricotta Cheese

1.  Heat the oil in the pan, and then add the shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, basil and the rest of the spices.



2. Once everything is cooked, add it all to a food processor and pulse about 5-6 times, then take off the lid and let it cool for a few minutes (this is so when you do the next step you don't get cooked egg whites in your mix just yet!)

3. Add the egg white and cashew parmesan cheese to the food processor, and pulse about 3-4 more times.



4. Lastly, add about 1 cup of the cashew ricotta cheese to the shrimp and mushroom mix and pulse again about 3 times (you can also just mix this by hand with a spoon to make sure its evenly distributed)






Ok FINALLY we can get to finishing this masterpiece.

I'm not always the greatest at explaining, so take a look at cupcakesomg 's explanation of how to make these raviolis and I'll wait patiently for you to get back....


....................

Ok...did you get that? Good.

Stuffing and cooking these bad boys:

1. Take you shrimp and mushroom stuffing and spoon about 1 tbsp onto the middle of the little raviolis. Then fold as explained on her website :) *

2. Lay down a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, and start wrapping and securing your raviolis!

3. Once you've secured them, bake at 350º for about 18-20 minutes



4. Remove them and top with caulifredo sauce and cashew parmesan cheese!



(I definitely needed to add more coconut milk to make my sauce less thick but I was so hungry I didn't care!)


*now since I wanted to try something else, I made this more like a lasagna

Lasagna Version:

1. Take a bread loaf pan and spray it down with a healthy cooking spray

2. Layer the squash slices down to get a good, solid bottom layer, the spread some of the shrimp and mushroom filling a little more than 1/2 an inch thick, repear until it gets to the top. I was able to do 3 layers of squash.  Make sure you end with a layer of squash.



3. Then take the caulifredo sauce and pour about 1/2 cup onto the top, leave some for topping individual slices later, you don't want to add too much now!

4. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until top layer begins to bubble.

5. This will be a little tricky to slice, so I'd use a sharp knife to slice individual pieces. It will probably look a mess on the plate, but it's gonna taste fantastic. Top with some cashew parmesan cheese and enjoy!




Wow, if you are still with me through all of that, I thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment