Friday, May 24, 2013

Coconut Poppy Seed Protein Banana Bread


Sometimes I enjoy my roommates company....

Other times I wanna punch them in the eye.

So last night I was fighting off a very strong urge to binge....which I did...

and then in strolls my roommate and tells me he has bananas that we going bad (which I of course had already had my eye on) and that I should use them before they go bad..

What, am I going to say no?

Of course I was gonna make some bananan bread!

But I love putting my own twist on things

So I present to you,



Coconut Poppy Seed Protein Banana Bread 

Serving: 1 loaf (about 6-7 slices)
*paleo

3/4 tsp of baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 and 1 tbsp almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 scoop Raw Protein powder (I use Garden of Life)
1/2 cup reduced fat unsweetened shredded coconut (I use Let's Do Organic)
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
a sprinkle of cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp poppyseeds
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 large eggs seperated and 1 egg white
2 1/2 very ripe medium to large bananas, mashed
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp raw honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut exract
1/3 cup almond or coconut milk


1. Preheat oven to 350º  and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan with a healthy cooking spray (I use coconut oil spray)

2. In a medium bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, ground flaxseed, both flours, raw protein powder, shredded coconut, salt, all the spices, and poppyseeds.

3. In a different small bowl, whisk together coconut oil, bananas, maple syrup, honey, and vanilla and coconut extract until will mixed.

4. Separate egg whites and egg yolks. Add the egg yolks to the banana mixture and whisk. Then add the banana mixture to the flour mixtures and mix together until well combined, but don't over do it!



5. In a separate small bowl, whisk egg whites using either an electric mixer or by hand, until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter. (add a little more almond or coconut milk if the mixture seems a little dry but not too much!

6. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle some poppy seeds and shredded coconut on top....

...and bake for 50-55 minutes or until set in the center. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving....if you can wait that long :)



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Looks easy to follow. I can't wait using my Celebes Desiccated Coconut from http://celebes.com

    Wish I could grab a slice through the screen :)

    ReplyDelete