Thursday, February 28, 2013

Almond Butter & Caramelized Banana Sandwich

I know, I know...I need to post something that doesn't contain bananas or nut butter....

Hopefully (and reluctantly) after this week, when I go meal prep shopping, I'll force myself to not buy PB or bananas....or maybe just less? 


Anyway, I don't usually eat bread that often. I try and stay away from carbs when I can...at least the bread kind :D

But since I had to carb up for a crazy glucose insulin test last week I had to buy a loaf of bread (which I have not done in months)

So since I do NOT waste food (thanks, mother) I did not want to just toss the bread! I decided to use it.

I bought Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread which is an awesome brand to use and this specific type is perfect because it's low glycemic AND vegan :)


(yes I have this weird thing where I peel the top crust off of my sandwich and eat it before making the sandwich)

Ok so now back to why we are here...the recipe.

Almond Butter & Caramelized Banana Sandwich on Cinnamon Raisin Bread:

1/2 banana, sliced
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
cooking spray (I use Spectrum's Coconut oil cooking spray)
2 slices Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread (or for a lower carb option you can do it open faced and use 1 slice)
2 tbsp raw unsalted almond butter
micro greens (or any other kind of greens, it's important to add veggies wherever and anywhere you can!)
optional: raisins, unsweetened shredded coconut

1. Take your banana slices and put them in a bowl. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and gently toss them together  making sure the bananas get well greased up :)
2. In a medium skillet, spray the pan and lay each banana slice down, cooking at about medium low heat

3. Throw your bread slices into the toaster
4. After the bananas have been sizzling for about a minute or so, take a spatula and gently flip them all over (this may be a little tricky, as when the bananas cook they become very soft)
5. Remove the bananas from heat and set aside
6. Take your bread and evenly distribute the almond butter (or whatever nut butter rocks your boat) onto both sides of the bread


7. Spoon the caramelized bananas from the pan, onto one side of the bread



and top with the greens (You cant even taste them throw all the other goodness)


8. Now here I added a few raisins and shredded coconut to the other side of the bread because I'm crazy like that.
9. Then top the caramelized side with the other piece of toast and there you have it.


These were so good, as soon as my roommates woke up I made them some :) 

Aren't I the nicest?



No comments:

Post a Comment