Thursday, March 7, 2013

Baked Apple Steel Cut Oats

This. Was....just..oh

Baked Apple Steel Cut Oats! A-MA-ZING



So my roommate lately has been watching me meal prep and eat clean and he REALLY wants to try it out..but baby steps, I must take with him (ok, Yoda)

Anyway, I made these for him, but not vegan because he obviously is not ready for THAT step yet.

But like I said, baby steps. So after I made it for him, it smelled so good and sounded like it was just fantastical (yes I made that a word) I just HAD to make it vegan!




Inspired by this recipe

Baked Apple Steel Cut Oats:

Servings: about 8 servings (1 cup each)

2 cups steel cut oats
1 tbsp earth balance butter
4 cups boiling water
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 apples, peeled, and diced (I had 2 huge apples, so I only used two in the picture above)
1/4 cup coconut sugar OR turbinado sugar
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt
2 1/2 cup non dairy milk


1. Preheat oven to 375ยบ and spray a 13 x 9 pan with coconut oil spray (or any other CLEAN cooking spray)
2. Melt butter in skillet and add oats. Stir until lightly toasted
3. Put oats in a large mixing bowl and pour boiling water over. Add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and salt and stir until combined
4. Add milk and stir.
5. Pour into prepared dish, sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top and bake for 50-60 minutes or until browned and set. Stir oatmeal before serving
*If reheating, add a little milk before you reheat to prevent the oatmeal from drying out.



No comments:

Post a Comment