Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Caramelized Onions and Curried Apple Steel Cut Oats

Oh man. I've out done myself this time *pats self on back*

I'm a nerd, I know.

But seriously this was so tasty. At least I think so.

I've been having curry a lot lately. It's so flavorful and I feel like you can do so much with it!

Ok back to the recipe..

So since I've been trying to cut back on sweeter things, I thought I'd try so savory oats



And I'm officially in love.






One note though...try not to cut your fingers off like I did when chopping the onions...

I'm an idiot.


Caramelized Onions and Curried Apple Steel Cut Oats

3 tbsp of caramelized onions (if you don't know how to caramelize onions go here, just don't use butter and try to use coconut sugar or another sugar alternative)
1 apple, peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces
splash of apple cider or apple juice
1 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of sea salt (optional)
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water


1. In a medium skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-low heat and once the oil is almost melted add curry and cinnamon, and salt and stir

2. Add sliced apples to the skillet and toss around to coat every little square inch of those bad boys. Turn the heat up to about medium and saute the apples for about 5 minutes, stirring the whole time.

3. Pour the apple cider or juice over the apples and continue sauteing them an additional 5 minutes, stirring until the apples are soft. Then remove from heat and set aside (I put the apples on a plate and covered them with a bowl to keep them warm
4. Start cooking the steel cut oats by adding the water to a saucepan and bringing it to a boil, then add the oats and the caramelized onions and reduce the heat and cover and cook for about 5 minutes

5. After about 5 minutes, remove the lid and add the apples and a little more curry if you'd like cover and cook for another 1-2 minutes
6. Remove from heat, stir and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment