Saturday, April 13, 2013

Key Lime Pie Steel Cut Oats

Who loves key lime pie?

I DO. I FREAKING LOVE IT.

But I'm vegan now :/ So that makes things a little more difficult...

Luckily, I love to cook! I plan on trying to make my own vegan key lime pie soon...that will hopefully be sooner than later :D

But for now, I'll settle for some dessert for breakfast, oatmeal style!



Key Lime Pie Oats!
1 1/2 cup coconut milk (you can use another kind of non-dairy milk but coconut tastes the best for this "dessert")
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp chia seeds
1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 tsp. key lime juice (you can use a regular lime, but the key lime juice makes it)
1 tbsp unsweetened shredder coconut 
1 1/2 tsp. maple syrup
a few dashes of cream of tartar
a pinch of coconut sugar

Topping:
handful of chopped almonds
zest of half a key lime
more shredded coconut (cause you can never have too much coconut)

1. Bring coconut milk to a boil and add vanilla and chia seeds, stir

2. Add steel cut oats, stir, reduce heat, and cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes

3. Half way through add the rest of the ingredients

4. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl, and add chopped almonds and key lime zest and more shredded coconut and enjoy!

*Now you could add some crumbled (healthy) graham crackers if you have them, but a healthy version just uses nuts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment