Monday, June 3, 2013

Savory Basil Butternut Squash Soup :D

I've never been a huge soup person.

Particularly because growing up, I liked to each actual meals and I always ate SO  much food and soup was never enough for me....more like an appetizer

But I know that there is a lot more out there than just broccoli and cheddar and New England clam chowder! (the only two I ever liked)

So the other day, I cam across some butternut squash I bought, but never used and decided to come up with this:


Savory Basil Butternut Squash Soup

Servings: about 2 cups

1 bag of peeled and cut butternut squash (I bought mine from Trader Joe's or you could just use about 1 small butternut squash)
1/3 cup light coconut milk
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped onions
4 tsp minced garlic (you can use less, I just LOVE garlic)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp cashew "parmesan cheese" (refer to this post to find out how to make it)
1 tsp black pepper

1. Cook the butternut squash according to the bag or cook the regular butternut squash however you like!

2. Once it's cooked and cooled off for about 5-10 minutes, add it to a food processor and blend for about 20 seconds, then add coconut milk and blend until creamy

3. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until desired consistency, if you like your soup a bit more thin, just add more coconut milk! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment